Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Family Braggin'


I subscribe to Google alerts. It's a fun thing I do to learn more about my family. Thanks to these alerts, I found my aunt & uncle's tablecloth in a museum and some other really cool stuff.

Today in my inbox I found a great article about my father in the New York Times.

Yes, my father lived in tzarist Russia. Yes, he arrived in the US in 1926. No, I'm not 90 years old. My father was 68 when I was born. Awesome! My mom was 39....they married when she was 25 and he was 54. They met in Los Angeles, at the Trocodero. I've been told that the Daily Variety had an article the next day, as my father stood up and said - in his loud, Russian voice, "My heart is on fire." Truly a great love story.

The picture above was taken before I was born. The little imp on the left is my brother, Bill. He was 16 when I was born. this is what he looks like now: The other boy, gazing lovingly at my mom, was my brother, Tony. He died in 1991 of bone cancer. He was 19 when I was born! At the hospital, the nurses thought HE was my father!

Thanks to the internet, I've learned more about my wonderful, unusual family.

2 comments:

Erica said...

Awesome, I love family history. I love the pictures. Too cool!

Emily Branca said...

Annie this is amazing! How cool to learn more about your family. It must feel kinda surreal in a way. Family is such a lovely topic, don't you think?!