Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Blessings in disguise

So, I don't want to be a blabbermouth, but my ex-husband lost his job. Victim of the suckonomy.

He always provided the kids' health insurance. Free of charge to him, I will add, so that you don't think he's some altruistic dude. He worked for a rockin' company that paid the ENTIRE premium, not only for employees, but their entire families. Hmmm, maybe that's why they had to have a lay-off?

Thankfully, my kids were deemed "medically needy" at the time we adopted them, and they have the extravagance of having state-provided health insurance for FREE until they turn 18, in absence of other coverage. Since it would cost about $300 per month for me to cover them, which I don't have, this is a blessing in and of itself.

But, because of this change in coverage, we had to change pediatricians. My friend Lynne recommended one.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, God.

Our former pediatrician, who I thought was pretty terrific, turns out wasn't as thorough as he could have been.

The new one, a lovely woman, ran several tests that I'd read were recommended for children "like mine" but were brushed off my the former pedi. They look healthy, right?

This is my jelly bean princess, looking happy as we had fun setting up for the EKG that we really didn't need, did we?



Thanks to MckMama and her son Stellan, I actually was familiar with the term "Right Bundle Branch Block." Or maybe it's "Right Branch Bundle Block." Whatever.

It sucks.

Hopefully, the test was wrong. And the re-test.

And the pediatric cardiologist we'll see soon will pat my hand and say, "There, there now...that was nothing."

BBB is quite common, and occurs in a variety of medical conditions. RBBB occurs in medical conditions that affect the right side of the heart or the lungs, so a finding of RBBB on the ECG ought to trigger a screening exam for such conditions. These include blood clots to the lung (pulmonary embolus), chronic lung disease, cardiomyopathy, and atrial and ventricular septal defects. However, RBBB also commonly occurs in normal, healthy individuals, and the screening exam therefore often turns up no medical problems. In these cases, the RBBB has no apparent medical significance, and can be written off as a “normal variant,” and safely ignored.


1 comment:

Kathy said...

Sory about the x-layoff. Mine got layed off a year ago and so did my child support. I hate to be a pain and I know he's going through a tough time- - so I patiently wait.

I'll be praying for the next test. I'm sure they will say - It's nothing!!! Got my fingers crossed for ya!